Weekend Writing

[Editor's note] This was an interesting week for America, to say the least. After 18 years of standard operating procedure, Don't Ask, Don't Tell was finally repealed-- ushering in a new, freedom-filled future for our military. Television also moved progressively forward by having Chaz Bono be the first transgendered contestant to Cha Cha on prime time. Sadly, another gay teenager killed himself for being just who he was. And Troy Davis was killed for being exactly who he was not.

Two steps forward, two steps back... Not a very productive track record.

I don't know when I started to notice this in my own generation, but America has become a chronically intolerant place. Respecting the differences of others has become a relic of a bygone era. Whether it's the visceral debate over immigration, or gays in the military, or helping the poor-- America is no longer the land of the free and the home of the brave. It's the place where people come to be disrespected, taxed, unemployed, and downright victimized.

Let me be perfectly clear: I'm not anti-America. I'm very fortunate to live here as freely as I like. But sometimes it seems as though America is of a one-track mind that railroads anyone who is not on that track.

But I still believe people are genuinely good. And I believe that those who hate others different from them just need a little education and a little guidance. I have to hope for that because otherwise, we'd be facing a pretty grim future.

The Statue of Liberty, America's welcome wagon, just celebrated it's 125th birthday this week. Let's make it a point to remember that we are a caring people. And maybe then the future will be brighter than the present.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regarding the Barry Manilow concert in Coral Gables

Regarding Steve Grand at Market Days

California high court expected to rule on same-sex marriage