RIP Christopher Hitchens

Christopher Hitchens, a slashing polemicist in the tradition of Thomas Paine and George Orwell who trained his sights on targets as various as Henry Kissinger, the British monarchy and Mother Teresa, wrote a best-seller attacking religious belief, and dismayed his former comrades on the left by enthusiastically supporting the American-led war in Iraq, died on Thursday in Houston. He was 62.

The full New York Times obit can be read here.

On his manner of living:
“I always knew that there’s a risk in the bohemian lifestyle, and I decided to take it because, whether it’s an illusion or not – I don’t think it is – it helped my concentration, it stopped me [from] being bored, [and] stopped other people being boring, to some extent. It would keep me awake. It would make me want the evening to go on longer, to prolong the conversation, to enhance the moment. If I was asked, would I do it again, the answer is probably yes.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regarding the Barry Manilow concert in Coral Gables

Regarding Steve Grand at Market Days

California high court expected to rule on same-sex marriage