Weekend Writing
Monday Edition

[Editor's note] My sincerest apologies for not writing a column this weekend. It was an uncharacteristically busy weekend in my neck of the woods. Anyway, this weekend’s topic was supposed to be on the fantastic season finale of True Blood but I've since reconsidered. This week I’d like to discuss the more epic re-release of Disney’s The Lion King.

Let me start by saying that this film and I go way back. I was 8 years old when The Lion King first came out in 199-blah-blah... and I’ve treasured it ever since. My love runs so deep that I’ve committed entire chunks of dialogue to memory; a fact that my 11-year old god daughter both loves and is a little weirded out by.

For countless reasons, the Lion King stands as the crowning jewel of Disney Animation. I know many of my Disney-lovin’ pals would put up a good fight to that distinction, but I believe it to be the absolute truth. It has the most perfect plot, a sensational soundtrack (thanks Elton!), and the most well-defined and lovable cast of characters in the Disney canon. Simply put, it is without equal.

Well, I went to see it in 3D last night with my dad and my little cousin Julian (a Lion King aficionado in his own right). It was a very ♫ Sunrise, Sunset moment.

Seeing the Lion King on the big screen again was no small thrill. Even though I know every millisecond of that film, seeing it restored and on a big screen was like seeing it for the very first time. Maybe because I haven't seen it in a few years; or because I saw it from a newly acquired adult perspective; or because it was in stunning 3D; or maybe because I was nose-deep in nostalgia-- whatever the reason, I was blown away. More to the point, I was pleased to see so much of the humor and the theme hold up through the years. The funny parts were still side-splitting. The sad parts still wrench your heart. The music, and the fights, and the friendships still dazzle.

If perchance you've been on the fence about seeing it in theaters, let me be the first to push you off... If only to relive one of the most glorious moments of your childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regarding the Barry Manilow concert in Coral Gables

Regarding Steve Grand at Market Days

California high court expected to rule on same-sex marriage